Thursday 23 July 2009

Books

My mum bought an interesting book about old school ways to remember stuff, you know, like "i before e (except after c)" That's what the book is called actually. It's amusing, and brings back memories of learning all the little things in school to remember spellings and grammar and maths etc. I know my grammar and punctuation aren't as good as they should be but I try and I correct myself, but anyway there was a neat little poem in it that caught my eye that I would like to share, apparently the source is unknown;

I take it you already know,
Of tough and bough and cough and dough.
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, lough and through.
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps.
Beware of heard, a dreadful word,
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
And dead - it’s said like bed, not bead,
For goodness’ sake, don’t call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat,
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother.
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear.
And then there’s dose and rose and lose
Just look them up – and goose and choose.
And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword.
And do and go and thwart and cart
Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Why man alive!
I’d mastered it when I was five.

But it's just lovely and witty. Pure brilliance. It's these sort of poems that I like to read, none of this serious stuff that they think is insightful and genius

Anyway, new profile image again lol I know. But I used to take a lot of images before and I need to get in the habit of updating it more for when I change. Also need to get round to writing out a few recipes in my personal recipe book. I sort of really want to do it and sort of don't as I have so many snippets from mags and bookmarked recipes from websites that I want to try or remember by jotting them down. I should bullet all this really.
I feel like doing a 4th piercing on my left ear, I'm not sure if you can see too clearly on that image but I already have 3 in there. I need to get round to actually REdoing a second one in my right ear lol but meh. The pain can wait another day as that's not on the top of my agenda at the moment.
There's another car boot sale on Saturday! Yay! :D I have fallen in love with them; all the old things and stuff that may seem useless to the person selling but may be just the thing for someone else! The idea and concept of it excites me. If that's the right word. Also all the low low LOW prices of everything, did I mention I got a lovely teapot for 20p? It's mad, but great.

Anyway, I'm sure thats all but if I think of anything it'll be up tomorrow or later or edited into here, hehe. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when you leave comments and I try and get back to you as soon as possible once I've read it. I also like to check out what you have to offer, so don't be afraid to leave your blog link too!
Thank you! ☺

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...